Re: our story for html5

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 7:46 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
So I've been going to a number of these startup events where people
who are starting tech businesses show up.
Cool, great.

Almost all of them are
doing some kind of app using html5 or something related to android.  I
don't really have a good story for them when it comes to html5.
I see. Have for some time argued that GNOME should strengthen its
message around the Web and had a particular suggestion on a good first
step [1], its great to see that other people are also starting to
think about this. In general I think it would be great if we could
communicate better with the developers of the official GNOME browser,
Web [2] and the folks who hack on Webkit GTK+ [3].

Even if we were just to talk about development of html5 applications
on GNU/Linux and/or GNOME, I'm not well aware of good applications
that can do that. Suggestions?
Well all of the major browsers have these days pretty sophisticated
built in web developer tools, including the official GNOME browser.
That said Mozilla just recently launched Firefox developer edition [4]
[5], a special edition of Firefox targeted at web developers.
Definitely something worth checking out and referring to when speaking
to html5 developers.

Another project relevant for html5 developers is atom [6], a text
editor made by Github released under mit license. Its a new project
and it does not seems to be included in many distros yet but have to
be build from source in many cases (although there is packages
available).

We would of course prefer free
software solutions, but if there are professional software that we can
talk about, that might be an angle.
I find the term "professional software" confusing (would personally be
careful of using it) it just feels like a term used by companies that
sell proprietary software. See absolutely no reason why a free
software solution could not  be "professional software". Personally I
would not speak or propagate for proprietary software solutions when
promoting GNOME.

1 https://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2012-September/msg00053.html
2 https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Web
3 http://webkitgtk.org/