Re: How we can improve our fundraising efforts

On 25 April 2014 15:53, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
Ekaterina Gerasimova <kittykat3756 gmail com> wrote:
We also need to encourage the Board of Directors to post
more about what they are doing. It's a shame that we the board doesn't
have a public face like this.

I hope I didn't sound unappreciative of the board - I know you do a
huge amount of work already!

You were completely spot on here, the board does need to get our
collective backsides into gear and tell people what's going on. It's a
bit of a problem that our work tends to bounce between nothing
interesting going on to too much to do, not enough time to write with
pretty much nothing in between.

People donate to the Foundation, they don't donate to individual GNOME
projects.   So the newsletter should a GNOME Foundation newsletter.  The
ones that should be communicating directly to donors should be the Board of
Directors.  The newsletter will have to be a platform for Board members to
communicate directly to donors.

Uhuh, and where do you propose that the board find the time to do
this? Under normal conditions, on average, each board member does
spend around 10 hours per week on board duties on top of their
projects and paid work. It's already quite a hefty time commitment
and, due to other issues, some of the board members are currently
spending a second job worth of time on board work as well, which is
likely to continue for the next month or so. Until a new employee is
hired, the board also has to do a number of fundraising and
administrative duties too, which is likely to push the average board
member work up to 15 hours per week indefinitely. It's also worth
keeping in mind that the board does not have anything to do with the
technical direction of the Foundation, which is where most money is
spent.

It would probably be a better idea to delegate this to someone who is
interested in working on it and let the board concentrate on getting
back into shape and being able to provide all the relevant information
in a timely manner (board minutes, account summaries). Ideally, the
information which you want to be in the letters should be freely
available anyway, which is what the board is currently working on
doing better. Most of the Foundation money is spent on employees,
followed by conferences and hackfests. I think event organisers will
also be better placed than the board to provide information directly
to whoever puts together a newsletter.

Right - the board need to be focused on board stuff. I wonder if we
could work towards having someone extra attached to the board to
handle publicity and public relations? Not sure who that would be or
how it would work...

That would be the engagement team, but the board can be a bit sucky at
remembering to tell you (succeeded on one account and completely
failed on another recently). I don't think this would be as much of an
issue if minutes were published on time.

A.