Re: How we can improve our fundraising efforts

 * Finally, we need data about our existing donors. There needs to be
a system where we have email and postal addresses so we can contact
them. We need to know how much they donate and how long they have been
members for. We need to know how many people are joining/leaving over
time. We need to know why people are joining/leaving. This will
require new infrastructure, and we need advice from the board about
what is technically required and how we can get it.

Many non-profits especially those in the arts have opt-in newsletters.  I know that when I go to say, for example, the local symphony's website they have an email subscription box to sign up for these.  If a person donates or goes to a concert they automatically sign the donor up because they capture their email address.  I think if GNOME was to do something similar, and of course I could help here, we could start with one newsletter.  That newsletter have a broader focus than just talking about software releases and it should talk about the foundations activities.

. One obvious thing we should be doing is
sending regular updates to donors, probably as an email (I wonder if
this could be tied in with the annual report somehow - eg. quarterly
donor updates could be used as the basis for each annual report).

The newsletters should be sent frequently but not so often that they become annoying.  I would send a newsletter at least monthly or every two weeks.  That way it becomes a regular thing that the donor looks forward to.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 5:30 AM, Oliver Propst <oliver propst gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
> Oliver Propst <oliver propst gmail com> wrote:
>> When we are doing a campaign we tend to be very focused on it (thus
>> busy), and not have the resources to focus on more long term planning.
>>
>> Thus its a a good time for us now to think about how we can improve
>> our fundraising efforts [1]. A great start is to learn how from how
>> other free/open source projects have conducted their fundraising
>> campings.
>
> Thanks for getting this started, Oliver. I've been thinking about this
> a bit myself recently, and I'd like to do some work on Friends of
> GNOME if I can find the time. I wanted to discuss it in a team
> meeting, but the mailing list works.
I have added this an agenda item for the upcoming Engagement Team
meeting set for next week [1]

> [...]
> of additional cash. If someone is making a regular donation, the
> chances are that they will also be willing to donate to periodic fund
> raising campaigns. This is the way a lot of charities operate - once
> you are a donor they will contact you about their campaigns. One thing
> we need to do here is separate Friends of GNOME and our fund raising
> campaigns into different entities.
>
>  * It doesn't seem like the adopt a hacker postcards and the t-shirts
> are being tracked and distributed very effectively, and I'm not
> convinced that we have the administrative capacity to do a good job of
> these. I wonder if we should drop them in favour of other incentives
> that don't have the same administrative burden. Ideas: discount
> vouchers, vouchers to spend on GNOME merchandise, freebies at
> conferences, membership badges you can download and print at home.
>
>  * It's time to be thinking about another campaign. When that happens,
> we need to be certain that we will be able to use the money fairly
> quickly - this hasn't happened in the past, and that is potentially
> damaging. (Again, people need feedback about how their money is being
> spent, otherwise they might not donate again.) We should think about
> what we actually need money for, and I'd like the board to provide us
> with some advice here. There are outstanding sysadmin tasks, for
> example, like upgrading Bugzilla, or maybe we need to improve our
> infrastructure in some way.
>
>  * Aside from the funding campaigns, we don't actively promote or
> publicise Friends of GNOME. This is a basic error - we should be
> routinely inviting people to join, posting about the scheme, and
> advertising what we are doing with donations. This should be part of
> the Engagement Team's regular activities - not just when we happen to
> have a campaign running. A good way to start here would be to come up
> with a plan for what kinds of posts we should be making and how often
> we should be making them; this is something we can check ourselves
> against at each team meeting.
>
>  * It seems to me that the Foundation's money goes into a central pot
> - I don't get the impression that particular income is earmarked for
> specific uses. I wonder if the finances could/should be organised in
> such a way that we can definitely say where Friends of GNOME money is
> going, or even channel it to areas that we think are more interesting
> to donors. Again, that's something for the board.
>
>  * Finally, we need data about our existing donors. There needs to be
> a system where we have email and postal addresses so we can contact
> them. We need to know how much they donate and how long they have been
> members for. We need to know how many people are joining/leaving over
> time. We need to know why people are joining/leaving. This will
> require new infrastructure, and we need advice from the board about
> what is technically required and how we can get it.

These are all great points I agree with. We can elaborate more on how
to adress this at the next meeting.