Re: Want to review a book about GNOME 3?

    1. A development guide tells you how-to use many different FOSS
    products with explanation on how they will work together to help
    the reader create more free software.

That is a kind of manual.  Any book that explains how to use
some software is a manual.

One kind of manual is a _reference manual_ which explain all the details
of each construct or command.  But documentation to teach a beginner
the basic use of a program is a manual too.

    My two cents is that going by the rule of free works and their
    derivatives must also be free, the author should consider
    releasing the book under a free license and to be fair to the
    effort the author has put in, he should charge a fee for the
    hardcopy/printed/paper edition.

If he releases the book under a free license, he can sell
copies, and we should encourage people to buy copies.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation