Re: Community Teams

On 3 December 2013 17:19, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Fabio Duran Verdugo
<fabiognome gmail com> wrote:

On mar, 2013-12-03 at 12:28 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
As mentioned in the other answers, I don't think that "Clan" is the,
right word. It sounds restrictive and closed, rather than welcoming.
And
it brings memories of people playing Diablo in groups in my teenage
years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_(computer_gaming)

Cheers

I don't thing too "clan" is the right word. I like "user group", On
chile for example for GNOME Chile we are using "user group", It is more
common to recognize, and fine to me.
Too, in Chile the word clan as say Bastian is related with computer
gaming, but too has a bad connotation (is not my impression, I asked
people in my work), an exaggerated example, but valid "clan steals
cars".

How about sodality?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodality_%28social_anthropology%29
here is an excerpt (from wikipedia, thanks wikipedia!)

Sodalities are often based on common age or gender, with all-male
sodalities more common than all-female. One aspect of a sodality is
that of a group "representing a certain level of achievement in the
society, much like the stages of an undergraduate's progress through
college [university]" [2].

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sodality

I don't think that a noun for which one feels the need to link to a
dictionary is common enough, as we have an international community
where not all members are fluent in English :)

You could also say 'societies'. Which gives it a bit of a party feel.