Re: Community Teams

On 12/02/2013 08:50 PM, William Jon McCann wrote:
In the process of doing some cleanup of our online presence, I noticed that our local community team experience isn't very cohesive or inviting.

We have a bunch of stuff scattered around the wiki with the center of it apparently being https://wiki.gnome.org/UserGroups .

While the term LUG or UG may resonate with some older users it doesn't really seem too inviting to me or some of the people I've tried to reach out to (ugh).

Thanks for reaching out about this, Jon! Much appreciated.
I usually tend to use the word community when talking about groups of GNOME users and developers, eg. "there is a local GNOME community in Gothenburg that is happy to arrange GUADEC", or "We're going to try and meet with the GNOME community in London", or "Christian and others are starting a bit of a GNOME Community in SF". That said, I don't have a problem with the current name either. Clans remind me slightly of Quake Clans (from the game), or something that Klingons would be organized in, but that is just me.

* Rename https://wiki.gnome.org/UserGroups to https://wiki.gnome.org/Clans * Move individual team content under that page (eg. https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeBrasil -> https://wiki.gnome.org/Clans/Brasil)
 * Streamline the presentation of the clans page and add a map

wiki.gnome.org/[name-of-thing]/Brazil sounds good to me and the map would be neat too, provided there is a good way to edit it.
- Andreas