From: "William Jon McCann" <william jon mccann gmail com>
To: engagement-list gnome org
Sent: Monday, December 2, 2013 2:50:54 PM
Subject: Community Teams

Hi,

In the process of doing some cleanup of our online presence, I noticed that our local community team
experience isn't very cohesive or inviting.

We have a bunch of stuff scattered around the wiki with the center of it apparently being
https://wiki.gnome.org/UserGroups .

While the term LUG or UG may resonate with some older users it doesn't really seem too inviting to me or some
of the people I've tried to reach out to (ugh).

So, I started thinking about what groups of gnomes might be called...

Something that is a word and not an acronym.
Something that avoids the tired old patterns.
Something that is a warm, inviting, and evokes kinship.

How about being part of a clan?

I propose that we:

* Rename https://wiki.gnome.org/UserGroups to https://wiki.gnome.org/Clans
* Move individual team content under that page (eg. https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeBrasil ->
https://wiki.gnome.org/Clans/Brasil )
* Streamline the presentation of the clans page and add a map

What do you think? Should we go ahead?

Thanks,
Jon

PS. If you insist on justification by acronym here you go: community [for] local activity and networking :)