Re: Friends of GNOME campaign

Hi,
With the new release out of the door I think it is time to give this
item some attention again.

Since it seams to be low interest/need of an SDK or hardware campaign
right now, then it may be a good idea to explore other options.

I have been thinking about a WebKit2 GTK+/Epiphany campaign that aims
to rise founds to the WebKit2 GTK+ port and the official GNOME browser,
Web (also known as Epiphany) [1].

The WebKit2 GKT+/Epiphany situation are in many similar to the state
of a11y was  (and to some degree are) many non-trivial bugs that needs
to be addressed and missing key features.

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=WebKit2
https://live.gnome.org/Epiphany/Roadmap/3.8?highlight=%28Webkit2%29|%28bugs%29|%28gnome%29

Since more and more GNOME applications and components are reallying on
WebKit it is of  increasingly importance and in interest of all GNOME
users that there exists a stable implementation of WebKit2 GKT+ [2].

It is of course possible to question the idea of start a fundraising
drive in part to raise funds to a browser since most GNOME users are
probably using Firefox or Chromium. But if we want to have a coherent
GNOME experience with a set of native GTK+ apps that people use, a
first class browser are of critically importance, not the least from a
marketing point of view.

Not to mention the fact that Mozilla to a large extent are focused on
other platforms.

It is indeed hard to find something that is more relevant today then
good support/implementation of the web.

I have been in contact with key people involved in the WebKit2
GTK+/Epiphany effort and this is something they are interested in
doing. If there is interest  in this we could make a formal proposal
and present it to the board.

1. https://live.gnome.org/WebKitGtk
2. http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/ApplicationsGtk

--