Re: Guadalinfo Accesible case study

El día 23 de enero de 2012 21:28, Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs igalia com> escribió:
Hi Félix.

Hi Joanmarie!
Really thank you for taking some time here!

On Sun, 2012-01-22 at 18:55 +0100, J. Félix Ontañón wrote:
Hi again. Please find in the following link the refered document,
both in editable and printable format.t both in english and spanish.

http://fontanon.org/gnomea11ycaseAndalusia.zip

If it is decided that your proposed document is worthy of inclusion
on any GNOME site and/or distribution elsewhere, I would encourage
you to do the following:

Of course, all your suggestions will be really appreciated:

Proofread the English content. I sympathize *completely* with the work
required to write a document in a language other than your own. That's
why I get my Spanish colleagues (several of them) to review anything I
write in Spanish.

As the document hasn't been published elsewhere, you can take this as a Draft.
I considered to look for the help of better english speakers than me.
Finally I declined before knowing if the document is useful for
someone. It's not so easy to task anyone to review a 19 document.

You have the bold-text statement "A very important part of the project
was several improvements on GNOME desktop accessibility by adding new
features and applications that previously didn't exists." From my read,
that seems to suggest that new GNOME applications were created as part
of this project and upstreamed by GNOME. If so that's great, but...
which GNOME applications were created exactly? If the answer is "none,"
I would rephrase your bolded text to be more clear about what work was
completed where.

The point is that even in the original spanish text it slightly seems
to mean that.
It needs to be rephrased, absoutely.

I think it would be worthwhile to distinguish the features which were
upstreamed and verified as working from those which are downstream-only
and/or unverified. For instance:

In fact, the document is more focused on being interesing (and
encouraging) for deployers than developers.
Do you think to distinguish wherer a feature was added or not it's
really needed?

     * There is no "keyboard profile similar to JAWS" in Orca.

Not in upstream, but at least it was developed for the project.

     * Whatever work was done to achieve "seamless integration with
       Voxin" was presumably not required by Orca -- either that or
       it's downstream only.

Agree.

     * GNOME Voice Control is not a GNOME module and is for all intents
       and purposes dead. [1]

Yes, and it's a real pity, but the work was done, deployed in the
telecenter network and upstreamed anyway:
http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/festlang/trunk/gnome-voice-control/ChangeLog?revision=359&view=markup

     * In theory the Evince improvements were done and upstreamed; in
       practice I have never been able to get any accessibility out of
       Evince. Ditto for Orca users from a variety of distros. As far
       as we are concerned, Evince remains inaccessible. :(

Oh! Don't know about that. To be honest, i'm being really confused
here ... how should I refer at that point in the document?

I'd also be sure that improvements provided were listed in the right
place. For instance, does Dots (a braille translator) really now have an
improvement of "Reading scanned text with Orca"??

It might be worth distinguishing which companies and contributors did
what. Amongst other things, I thought Fernando Herrera did the Dots
work; not Warp. Likewise, I'd not combine company names with slashes
without first checking with the companies being paired in this fashion.

Both them are real "bugs" on the document. Thanks for catching them.
As for the company names or contributors, I feel both could be
skipped. I don't feel this data interesting for deployers. What do you
think?

This study case shows how Andalusia regional gov. choosed Gnome
Desktop for setting up accessible workstations at their telecenter
network.

Case studies, as I understand them, are more research-based. As such,
I would expect anything with that title to not just promote work, but
to also analyze the processes involved in bringing that work to fruition
-- both the successes as well as the failures. Thus I would suggest that
you find a different descriptor/title.

Well, it's a matter of what do you understand for a Case study.
I accept your suggestion. Do you find "GNOME Accessibility and
Andalusian Telecenters - A Success Story of the Guadalinfo Accesible
project"  as a better title?

Take care.
--joanie, Orca Project Lead

Best regards!