Re: push back on negative articles

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:

I didn't imply he was a troll. I've already stated he is a troll.

And by most people's definition of the word, you'd be wrong in calling
him that. Where's that Code of Conduct when you need it?

Again, I disagree. I would be willing to bet that Bruce has better
things to do with his life than stir up controversy.

Could you expand on this?

No, because I'm not Bruce Byfield. I am sure he has a life, tends to
day-to-day issues and has better things to do than make your life
difficult.

I'm not sure what the right approach is, but I think you should be
careful. It is quite easy to spin any response as e.g. 'GNOME doesn't
like to hear the truth'.

Arguably, there are many things in this article that GNOME folks
should ask themselves, assuming that Byfield is right in at least some
points in his commentary; to say nothing of working under the
assumption that nothing -- not even GNOME -- is perfect. One
observation right off the bat: I can't use GNOME 3 due to hardware
limitations, and personally I feel that having to use the "fallback
mode" is the digital equivalent of being forced to sit at the back of
the bus (an analogy that's probably only understood by Americans, but
for the rest of you it goes back to racial inequality in the US up to
the 1960s when non-whites had to sit in the back of the bus). I don't
think I'm the only one who feels that way.

I find this comparison over the top offence.

I urge you to read https://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct

I don't. Here's why: People who are unable to use GNOME 3 and must use
the "Fallback Mode" -- seriously, is that the best name you could come
up with? -- arguably are second-class citizens because they do not
enjoy the same rights and privileges as GNOME 3 users. If you're
offended, that's tough. But that's how it is.

I read the code of conduct and I don't think it violates it. Maybe you
should read it yourself.

I said that inaccurate or intentionally misleading. Or in plain word:
the site lies.

And again I would say you were wrong, and I'm sure thoughtful members
of this mailing list deal in reality.

Your response is: 'look into the mirror'.

I don't see how these thing relate.

Pity. Anyway, you're welcome.

Larry Cafiero