Re: Any chance to move your MLs to Google Groups?

Hello Olav, Ahato, Tobias!

Olav:
I know that you cannot export your data from Google's services, and that was always an issue with Google.
However I can't see how a service that hosts thousands open projects will change.

Ahato: Yes, is about interface and about the Google Effect.

Tobias:
Please don't go to "satisfied" issue. If I wasn't I wouldn't be here. But none will ever be satisfied completely with nothing :)
Many people that believe in free or open source use Google Services, or Facebook or YouTube or whatever.
Gnome uses Twitter etc. Many free projects use Google Groups.

I believe that Open Source should be in harmony with proprietary. The goal is to develop open source not to
disqualified proprietary.

As I said I might saying stupid things, I am okay with the answers :)
Consider this topic closed!

Thank you!
- alex

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Tobias Mueller <tobiasmue gnome org> wrote:
Hello,

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 02:51:27PM +0300, alex diavatis wrote:
> Moving from MLs to Google Groups will get nothing but advantages.

Are you not satisfied with any particular aspect?

> *Sharing and Discovering*
> Open Source is about sharing. Sharing isn't working good in hardly
> discovered MLs.
[citation needed]
Right now, I can download the mboxes, index, search and share all *I*
want.

> I am also saying this because of the close source Google platform. Is
> better to use a close platform and be more "open source" rather to
> use an open platform and be less "open source".

I disagree with you. Strongly. We not only want to be "open", but also
"free". That is, to be in control over what happens to our
infrastructure and who controls who is using it.

Cheers,
  Tobi