Re: happy birthday GNOME website!

+1 to Virtual Disks!
Can I get a d/l link to try them?

-alex

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 9:52 PM, Diego Escalante Urrelo <diegoe gnome org> wrote:
Hola Juanjo,

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Juanjo Marín <juanjomarin96 yahoo es> wrote:
> Germán Poó has some old virtual machines. Maybe it would be good idea to offer a virtual machine to try it. He has GNOME 1.0.56, 1.2 and 1.4. They are based in Red Hat. Version 1.0.56  (qemu image) and 1.2 (linux 2.2, vmdk) are tricky to run. Version 1.4 (linux 2.4, vmdk) is easy to run, so I think is perfect for us. The user is gnome, password gnomehistory (same for root). If people like the idea, we can prepare other VMs of the other GNOME versions based on different distros. I think if we do this, we should use the OVF/OVA format.

If this is doable, great. But I fear that we will not be able to get
the tricky ones on time.
A funny thing to do would be to make this images available in GNOME
FTP. As a "geeky toy" for people who want to try them. But even then,
I would not go further back than 1.4.

> As a side note, reading an old interview to Miguel de Icaza in GNOME 1.X days, I really like this reply:
> http://tech.slashdot.org/story/00/04/03/2344211/miguel-de-icaza-tells-all
>
> "I understand that for a seasoned Unix user GNOME might not bring a new
> paradigm for their way they work, but you have to think differently.
> You have to think how many people have or will be able to run free
> software on their desktops because it is easier to use.
> We do plan on continuing improving GNOME, and catering to the needs of
> the people who are just starting to use computers and just starting to
> use GNU/Linux."

This is a great quote. Perhaps we can chase Miguel to update it.

Action items? I can contact Chema and the GUADEC team about the
history of GNOME video.

Would you like to start writing the memories for each release? Like I
said, I would only do a few releases, not all. See my previous
proposal.

Andreas perhaps might want to chime on what would be cool to gather
for the design: screenshots? old icons? the video?