Re: News posts needed

Hi!

Thank you for getting started on the news story about GSoC!

I am not sure what content we would like to put into the OPW press release and what content we would like to
put into the news piece about GSoC. We should definitely coordinate these, and see if they need to be two
separate stories, or if we can combine them into one.

Below are my notes for the OPW press release that I also just shared with Karen. Karen was going to work them
in into the press release, that will also include the news about the Conservancy project joining OPW with
Twisted, welcoming the FSF as a new sponsor of OPW, thanking all the sponsors, and announcing new
participants. Let's see how that works out, and decide based on that how to divide or combine the information
in the stories and cross-link them.

I'm also including a few inline comments below.

Thanks!
Marina

Organizing the Outreach Program for Women helped GNOME improve our resources for newcomers and the experience
of Google Summer of Code applicants. It also helped us extend the effort in getting more women involved to
other free software organizations.

When we started the current Outreach Program for Women two years ago, we had an initial list of 9 mentors
from 8 projects who were eager to help with the program. Connecting newcomers with mentors who can guide them
in their initial contributions proved to be the most important aspect of our outreach effort. For that
reason, we recently moved the list of mentors we built up for the Outreach Program for Women to be a part of
the GNOME Love initiative. There are now 37 mentors from 22 projects whom any newcomer can contact any time
throughout the year in this ever-growing list. We also started a page on the Google Summer of Code wiki that
contains links to such lists of mentors in many free software organizations. That page currently has 15
organizations. In addition to being a general resource we pointed students looking for an organization to
join to, we used it to spread the word about Google Summer of Code and mentorship opportunities among
technical women groups at many universities.

We learned that requiring an initial contribution to the project an applicant is applying for increases their
involvement with the project, prepares them for the work during the internship period, and serves as an
important selection criteria. This year, we required the students applying for Google Summer of Code in GNOME
to make a contribution to the project they are applying to work on, not just to supply a link to a bug they
fixed in any free software project. We also emphasized the need to communicate with a potential mentor for
the idea the student is proposing and included who the potential mentors are for each project idea we had. As
a result, all successful applicants demonstrated their ability to work on the project they proposed and
discussed their proposal with their potential mentor. For the accepted Google Summer of Code students, we
changed our requirement for weekly updates on a dedicated mailing list to a requirement for blog post updates
every two weeks that will be aggregated on Planet GNOME. This will allow for a greater visibility of the
students' projects.

We are very proud of the accomplishments of the last round's interns, which include the following.

 * Kasia Bondarava committed Belarusian translations for 35 GNOME modules. With her help, Belarusian
translation coverage went from 67% to 88%, making Belarusian a new officially supported language. She also
made a comprehensive comparison of different translator tools and advocated for better translator comments.
 * Christy Eller has tremendously improved the web development process in GNOME and created the new Friends
of GNOME pages.
 * Susanna Huhtanen created comprehensive developer documentation about writing GNOME applications in
JavaScript.
 * Patricia Santana Cruz added support for sharing videos and images with different online services, improved
hotplug connection of camera devices, and added recorded time when making a video in the Cheese webcam
application.
 * Sophia Yu ported Swell Foop game from JavaScript to Vala, completely reworking its implementation, and
updated several other games to use new GNOME APIs.

The detailed accomplishments of all 12 program participants can be found at
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeWomen/OutreachProgram2011/Accomplishments

Outreach Program for Women participants have a strong tradition of becoming mentors in GNOME. Luciana Fujii
Pontello and Ekaterina Gerasimova mentored Google Summer of Code and Outreach Program for Women participants
in previous rounds. Tiffany Antopolski, Anita Reitere and Srishti Sethi mentored Google Code-In participants.
This round, Christy Eller will co-mentor a Web Development intern and Tiffany Antopolski will mentor 4
Documentation interns, 3 of whom will be working on Developer Documentation along with Tiffany.

Another big help from participants from previous rounds was a cartoon that better explained the Outreach
Program for Women application process, created by Liansu Yu, Christy Eller, Meg Ford, and Tamara Atanasoska.
It was featured on the program's page and we hope helped make the application process more approachable and
easier to understand.

More notes inline
     vvv