Re: Developing GNOME News

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM, alex diavatis
<alexis diavatis gmail com> wrote:
Hello Allan,
I think that gnome.org consistency is a bit broken on several areas, for
example on gnome.org we have latest news that are totally different from
latest news on news.gnome.org.

I agree. We could maybe syndicate the content from gnome.org on news.gnome.org.

I don't think that the news should be on a sub-domain, news is a core module
of Gnome Page and should always be present on the Home Page and on main
domain also.
On WoGue I build home page using widgets (some similar to windows 8) that
represents sections of our site, eg News, Games, Successfully Stories etc..
Widget's style-sheet is defined from last update date, I keep them small (so
I can use a lot on home page without making seem heavy) and I display last
news on a single line,
I expand them on mouse event, and I give two options: Read a specific Item,
or Visit the whole section that this item exists.
I think that the result I have accomplish is pretty (even if I don't know
Gimp :) ) quick and practical.
Well my opinion is that on gnome home page, you have to offer easy and quick
access to everything, and widget blocks is a nice solution to keep things
simple and minimalist.

We can display official gnome news on one of our widgets using RSS, Ajax or
something.
Our material exceeds Gnome and we get things that Gnome Page can't present
like Themes (http://art.gnome.org/themes page is dead?) Games and
Interviews.
We are planning services for Thumps up/Down, Sorting by criteria on Games
and Themes (and maybe extensions and Gnome Apps when they get online) but
our main purpose is
to present future Ideas on Gnome. and let people that read us, to Thumps
them up if they like them.
I guess there is space on WoGue as we cannot present actually Gnome news,
because we don't know them, we learn them from you :)
We would be more than happy if we could merge in a way of covering different
aspects for Gnome
Regards,
- alex

Yes I definitely think that we can organise ourselves in a
complementary fashion.

IRC:  aday on irc.gnome.org
Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/