Re: Developing GNOME News

Hello Allan,

I think that gnome.org consistency is a bit broken on several areas, for example on gnome.org we have latest news that are totally different from latest news on news.gnome.org.
I don't think that the news should be on a sub-domain, news is a core module of Gnome Page and should always be present on the Home Page and on main domain also.

On WoGue I build home page using widgets (some similar to windows 8) that represents sections of our site, eg News, Games, Successfully Stories etc..
Widget's style-sheet is defined from last update date, I keep them small (so I can use a lot on home page without making seem heavy) and I display last news on a single line,
I expand them on mouse event, and I give two options: Read a specific Item, or Visit the whole section that this item exists.
I think that the result I have accomplish is pretty (even if I don't know Gimp :) ) quick and practical.

Well my opinion is that on gnome home page, you have to offer easy and quick access to everything, and widget blocks is a nice solution to keep things simple and minimalist.

We can display official gnome news on one of our widgets using RSS, Ajax or something.
Our material exceeds Gnome and we get things that Gnome Page can't present like Themes (http://art.gnome.org/themes page is dead?) Games and Interviews.
We are planning services for Thumps up/Down, Sorting by criteria on Games and Themes (and maybe extensions and Gnome Apps when they get online) but our main purpose is
to present future Ideas on Gnome. and let people that read us, to Thumps them up if they like them.

I guess there is space on WoGue as we cannot present actually Gnome news, because we don't know them, we learn them from you :)

We would be more than happy if we could merge in a way of covering different aspects for Gnome

Regards,
- alex