Re: Fallback / Classic Mode

On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 12:27 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
In the minds of a lot of people (press and GNOME hackers, and by proxy,
future users), GNOME 3 is very much the user experience defined by GNOME
Shell. And, while I don't have any data to back this up, I'd bet that
people are expecting "GNOME 3 fall-back mode" to be more or less
equivalent to GNOME 2.

So since (a) in some situations using GNOME 3 in "normal" mode (with
GNOME Shell) is not appropriate, and (b) GNOME fall-back does not
provide the same user experience as GNOME 2, we risk disappointing some
people doubly, if we do not prepare ourselves to manage these expectations.

That means, IMHO, figuring out some situations when it's inappropriate
to run GNOME Shell, documenting how to manually switch to fall-back mode
if, for example, your card is detected as being Shell capable, but runs
slowly (I had this experience on one SiS chipset on a netbook), and also
managing people's expectations about GNOME Fallback's feature set.

If somebody would like to write up a couple paragraphs about
this, I'll do the markup and such and put it into the help.
It's a useful topic, I think.

--
Shaun