Re: Fallback / Classic Mode

Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Brian Cameron
<brian cameron oracle com> wrote:

        My understanding was that GNOME 3.0 was simply not targeting
        these
        users, and that the expectation was that Fallback/Classic mode
        would
        be ready for such users in a forthcoming release.  To me, it
        makes
        sense for GNOME to first focus on the more common-case GNOME
        users
        for the GNOME 3.0 release (e.g. desktop/laptop/notebook
        users).  By
        the time GNOME 3.x starts being released in a supported
        fashion by
        major distros, I am sure the Fallback/Classic mode issues will
        be
        resolved.

GNOME 3 was designed as a general purpose desktop, appropriate for all
the things that GNOME 2 was appropriate for. It should work very well
for sysadmins and other enterprise roles, better than GNOME 2, in fact.

<snip>
What we do want is to give the impression that this is where
enterprise desktops should go.  Because ease of use, good design means
less training, and in the end less problem tickets.  (which means that
someone of should be hitting help desk conferences. :-)

I couldn't agree more. This is really important. To many people, GNOME 3
might seem like it is just for netbooks or home users. We need to dispel
that impression.

One thing that we can do is emphasise productivity in our marketing
materials. I did a bad job at this when I wrote the gnome3.org content,
and I've been meaning to update it for a while. The message is already
present in the release notes, though.

The other thing we could do - and this is something I'd really like to
see - is have a testimonials page for gnome3.org. Does anybody fancy
taking this on?

Any other ideas?

Best,

Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/