Re: Fallback / Classic Mode

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Brian Cameron <brian cameron oracle com> wrote:

My understanding was that GNOME 3.0 was simply not targeting these
users, and that the expectation was that Fallback/Classic mode would
be ready for such users in a forthcoming release.  To me, it makes
sense for GNOME to first focus on the more common-case GNOME users
for the GNOME 3.0 release (e.g. desktop/laptop/notebook users).  By
the time GNOME 3.x starts being released in a supported fashion by
major distros, I am sure the Fallback/Classic mode issues will be
resolved.

No wise enterprise sysadmin would move to a dot oh release especially something like this one which changes the user experience so dramatically.  There is training issues, performance issues, documentation.

It will be at least two releases before enterprise people look at this stuff.  Certainly that is what I would be doing.  It's a pile of work to do that kind of labor and some still won't move until their support vendor decides to say they are ending support.

What we do want is to give the impression that this is where enterprise desktops should go.  Because ease of use, good design means less training, and in the end less problem tickets.  (which means that someone of should be hitting help desk conferences. :-)

I would not think it should be so controversial to just make this clear
to users, make sure we set expectations honestly, and avoid confusion.

It shouldn't be, but we need to keep their use models in mind and work towards accommodating them if we can.  That is after all where a lot of our distros make their money and money is good.