GNOME: numbers of users, patches/revisions

I'm working on the press release and I'm finding it hard to figure out:

About how many users can I claim GNOME has? (To simplify: the desktop, not the platform.)

"GNOME 3 will reach [number] of users around the world." What's a reasonable number to predict?

How many patches/code changes have been committed since the 2.0 release 9 years ago? (Tried viewing the repos, can't figure out how to get a total like this.)

(If I'm missing someplace obvious, please tell me.)

Thanks,
Sumana