GCI: Update Gnome Usergroup Info, Introduction

Hello, my name is Jason Lo, and I have taken this GCI task (http://www.google-melange.com/gci/task/show/google/gci2010/gnome/t129061755958#c16001). I was asked by Dave Neary to prepare an email to send out, but before I do that, I'd like to ask to some questions.
Namely, what should the overall tone and content of this email be? And also, should I mention that I am a GCI student, and should I even go as far as to mention the two previous students that tried to undertake this task, maybe in a sort of apologetic tone? Thanks.