Re: Friends of GNOME session notes

Thanks for the recap Jason!

If anyone wants to help with any of the tasks and you weren't at the
Summit, please feel free to volunteer!  More help is always welcome.

Paul

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Jason D. Clinton <me jasonclinton com> wrote:
Friends of GNOME

Stormy opened the session by giving an overview of the target: users who
feel that they would like to contribute but don't know how because they
aren't technical.

Objectives:

400 new subscribers
Use a progress bar on the web site similar to the sysadmin campaign
Any dollar value
New t-shirt
Videos of developers talking about how funding helps hackfests
Track referrals from people
Track referrals from online advertising

Someone asked if there were any demographics about donors from the past
year. Stormy replied that the data is there--based on country--but someone
would need to compile the data.

There was a discussion about getting academic communications departments
involved in this and other marketing departments. Everyone loved this idea
but it was decided that we're too close to the end of the year (the target
for this campaign) to specifically try to involve an academic project.

The floor was opened to a discussion of rewards for contribution in addition
to a T-Shirt: foam GNOME foot trinkets, stickers, a membership card.

We discussed implementing referral tracking by integrating our PayPal data
with our CiviCRM installation. The action items out of this discussion were

Text for ruler (Paul)
Clean up Friends of GNOME landing page (Og)

Fix subscriptions
One time
Ask for location

Annual subscription (Og)
Merchandise

New t-shirt (Joey)
Community assistance for distribution (Vincent)
Collectible doodad with year on it, 300 qty (Joey) (maybe Andreas?)
Membership cards with member number (Og)

Map mash-up of contributors
Getting the word out

Design 2 ads (Joey)
Social networking (Og)
Radio jingle (Joey)
Google
LWN (Stormy)

Email current subscribers (Paul)
Videos of developers talking about hack-fest funding via Friends of GNOME
(Jason/Joey)

Dates:

Launch new Friends of GNOME site - Nov. 16th
Annual item per year (doodad) - Nov. 18th
Map mash-up - Nov. 21st
Launch promotional avenues - Nov 22nd
Membership cards - Nov 22nd
T-Shirts - Dec. 31st