Re: Friends of GNOME Badges

Hi, Paul!

I'd say the first goal should be to get some hard numbers; 'more
visible' is kind of fuzzy. 'Double the numbers' would be better, but
that presupposes knowing how many blogs already display the badge.

There's also the problem that we don't know where the problem is. For
example, the page

http://www.gnome.org/friends/promote.html

is hardly very convincing copy. Maybe, our problem is the conversion
rate of this page?

However, here are some other means to make the badge ad more effective:

* Enlarge it (eg. like the friends ruler).
* Switch to a more notable color.
* Add images of real people to it.
* Display it more often.

For the last point, what about looking at GNOME's most visited web
pages? We do have better stats about our web pages now, do we?

Also, we could try to embed the badge ad in a more general approach:

For example, we could try to make a general campaign software that
displays ads for general GNOME stuff and not just 'Friends of GNOME'.

Or maybe it could display ads not just for GNOME, but also GNOME third
party apps and maybe even other GTK-based desktops?

While the badge ad would have been displayed here not 100% of the time,
it could reach a wider audience (under the assumption that it's easier
to promote a general ad network widget.)

Next, while I have no overview on GNOME's other means, we could mention
the 'Promote FoG' program regularly:

* in GNOME's newsletter,
* in GNOME's twitter feed, and
* in GNOME's facebook feed.

We could also do an Google adwords campaign for the Promote FoG thing,
provided we could find some good keywords that potential bloggers may
use to find Not-for-profit stuff to support.

Hope this helps.

Claus