Re: Reboot: Strategic goals for GNOME

Hi all!

Looking at Anjuta, I have no idea if it's a great resource to start
GTK programming with or not.  You say yourself "presumably", and
that's the greatest nail in the coffin - you're obviously involved in
GNOME development and you have *no* idea, you're barely familiar with
it either.  Otherwise I'm pretty sure you'd use words a little less weasely
about it.

You don't have to be an alpha dog to realize that GNOME has no blessed
development workflow.

It doesn't have and that's probably not a big problem in general. But
the problem is that there is no blessed starting point for the tool that
should be used to get started.

I know many of the more experienced developers have used vim/emacs/gedit
for years and won't change their workflow from one day to another.

From the side of the anjuta team we always tried to provide a tool for
new developers or from people migrating from windows. We have made major
improvements over the last version but of course things are not perfect.
But every new user (who files bugs) will help us to get better. But
remember that only 4 people really work on anjuta and they all do that
in their leisure time.

That said, there is a lack of tutorial for getting started in GNOME
development, for example explaining the complete workflow from zero to a
complete distributable (at least tarball) application in anjuta. I was
very disappointed that the Ubuntu people were basing their
"Opportunistic developer"-stuff on command-line stuff mainly.

So yes, writing such a tutorial, maybe for C, Python and Vala would be a
great thing. If someone wants to step up (shouldn't be difficult with
mallard) I will provide him any help I can.

Regards,
Johannes