Re: Reboot: Strategic goals for GNOME

Hi,

On 3 Mar 2010, at 09:09, Dave Neary wrote:

Proposed short-to-mid-term goal: Make the GNOME platform exciting to
alpha-dog application developers & thought leaders.

We probably could have had MeeGo be "GNOME Mobile", but our project
wasn't the obvious place to go, because we don't seem to know what we're
providing any more. And so we're losing stewardship (and control) of
these great GNOME-related projects to the Linux Foundation, or to Intel
& Nokia, or to distributions.

Focussing in on one area that I can talk about: Qt is perceived by some to be stronger from a business
perspective due to the 'more complete' offering: extensive documentation and an SDK.

Perhaps more focus on and promotion of GNOME's developer tools/sdk offerings would be a useful meta-goal for
the coming year? Somehow enunciating the proposition that you don't need to be an alpha-dog developer to get
engaged with GTK etc.

For example, I only recently found out about Anjuta: it's presumably a fairly important tool for people
developing using GNOME technologies, but look at the results at
http://www.google.com/search?q=anjuta&as_sitesearch=www.gnome.org (Yes, I know there's a ton of stuff at
library.gnome.org, I'm being devil's advocate here ...)

Andrew.