Re: Marketing Materials in git

Hi,

Olav Vitters wrote:
Our currently available solutions are:
* Share office documents as wiki attachments
* Use wiki pages to collaborate on text

What is the problem with above? Meaning: has it been tried and proved to
be ineffective? I know what has been said, but what is done now, is
there a concrete problem? E.g. with requesting version control, usually
revisioning is already part of the word processor.

1. The wiki is not good for graphical documents (marketing pamphlets,
presentations, annual report layout, etc)
2. Revision control in the word processor is OK if editing is sequential
(only one person at a time editing a document). Things like conflict
management when 2 people want to upload a new revision of a document
isn't handled by the wiki or the word processor/presentation program.
3. Wiki attachments sucks as a general "dropbox" type "share
spreadsheets, presentations and documents" solution. If you don't see
why, then I suspect you haven't tried to use the wiki for this.

git accounts are given after proven contribution, as you say. Not
necessarily technical contribution. Our main need is to have a place

We don't have it written down, but no, that is not a correct
interpretation. We e.g. do not give every translator an account. It
really is focussed on modules. Of course, if you're well known it will
be easier, but please don't try and nit pick (sorry, don't know a better
way to state that atm) when I say 'proven contribution'.

Well, it is an ongoing problem for free software projects how you build
a trust network around non-technical roles. Hackers show their code,
translators show their strings. What do marketing people have to show to
get access to revision control?

It's an interesting general issue - and perhaps, as you say, focussing
on revision control is focussing on the wrong thing. But even websites
are in git, and those are typically the realm of designers & marketers,
so the need is there to answer the question at some stage.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary