Re: Mobile Funding Plan - Please comment

My comments below.

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Brian Cameron <brian cameron oracle com> wrote:

Bharat:

The mobile funding plan is posted at:
http://live.gnome.org/Gnome Fund Raising

Please comment either in mail or embed your comments in the wiki itself.

Also please sign up for what you can help with.

While I agree that handing out cards at events and encouraging people
to donate is a good way to advertise, I would like to see more ways of
advertising the various mobile campaigns.

Bharat>> I completely agree. One idea came up was to somehow get on radio - I do not understand radio too well so if anyone has ideas please suggest. (Of course I mean I want to get Gnome on for FREE)
http://www.fallsradio.com/Free_Advertising_Policy.html

I will chase this one.

Shouldn't we have banner ads on popular GNOME websites (like planet,
the GNOME Amazon/Google websites, etc.), send emails to various GNOME
users groups, and reach out to people who might not be attending
conferences?

Bharat>> This is one thing we have struggled - the question is if someone is at a PC why would we need Mobile. I will setup a poll and send it to everyone and see what everyone thinks.

Bharat>> Is there any other means of reaching folks not in conferences - apart from radio and away from PCs, Ads in magazines, article sin newspape4rs etc could definitely help. BUT HOW do we get there - anyone any ideas.

Since the GNOME Foundation is a not-for-profit charity, I would think
that we would be able to find lots of ways to advertise for free or
inexpensively.  There are many opportunities for non-for-profits to get
free advertising.  For example:

http://techcrunch.com/2009/03/27/special-youtube-ads-earn-nonprofit-10000-in-a-single-day/

BK>> This is sweet - I think we should pursue irrespective of Mobile funding effort. Any volunteers. I think this needs to be a seperate project.
Can we get any volunteers to setup the account and develops ads for Gnome? I can open a seperate thread for this.

http://www.wecaretoo.com/

BK>> Neat - dosent even need anything from us. Can we list Gnome store as well as donate section on this site?
I can do ti if that is OK with all, will open a new thread.

http://qnation.com/index.php?contentID=778

BK>> Do we have a volunteer to chase this account.

http://www.fallsradio.com/Free_Advertising_Policy.html

BK>. I will chase it.

Brain, u rock dude

And many many more...

I would think a mobile campaign would be more successful if we did more
to get the word out.  Just telling people at conference is preaching
to the converted.

BK>> Brian - Based on the case study from the firm providing this service, they use a lot of SMS, I am not a big fan as it pisses off people who have to pay for receiving SMS. I will look into Radio and see if other places do that too.

Now the question arises:
What do we advertise - I say "Gnome 3 is coming..............." till the release and then next 6 months can we try Gnome 3.
I will run a poll and send it to the team.

I am moving these ideas to the wiki.