Re: Mobile Funding Plan - Please comment

Bharat:

The mobile funding plan is posted at:
http://live.gnome.org/Gnome Fund Raising

Please comment either in mail or embed your comments in the wiki itself.

Also please sign up for what you can help with.

While I agree that handing out cards at events and encouraging people
to donate is a good way to advertise, I would like to see more ways of
advertising the various mobile campaigns.

Shouldn't we have banner ads on popular GNOME websites (like planet,
the GNOME Amazon/Google websites, etc.), send emails to various GNOME
users groups, and reach out to people who might not be attending
conferences?

Since the GNOME Foundation is a not-for-profit charity, I would think
that we would be able to find lots of ways to advertise for free or
inexpensively.  There are many opportunities for non-for-profits to get
free advertising.  For example:

http://techcrunch.com/2009/03/27/special-youtube-ads-earn-nonprofit-10000-in-a-single-day/
http://www.wecaretoo.com/
http://qnation.com/index.php?contentID=778
http://www.fallsradio.com/Free_Advertising_Policy.html

And many many more...

I would think a mobile campaign would be more successful if we did more
to get the word out.  Just telling people at conference is preaching
to the converted.

Brian