Re: GNOME -> Gnome

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 08:50 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

Our brand recognition seems to be mostly within the FOSS group.
 People really don't know GNOME they know Ubuntu/Fedora/SuSE etc but
they don't really know the software that runs their desktop.  There is
no recognizable branding in any of those desktops.

Even in gnome-shell I don't know that I'm using GNOME.  Our brand is
non-existent in the shell.  No icon, no wording, nothing.

Changing GNOME's name now could prove distracting but also IMHO
ineffective as long as our branding is hidden behind distros.

So true! The important question is: 'How do we get the existing brand
into the minds of the people?'

Changing the name would destroy all the work, the time and the efforts
already invested into Gnome as a brand. It makes existing resources more
complicated to use (think web archives) and confuses consumers and
developers alike.

It has no real benefit, other than getting rid of some historical links.
Why waste time with considerations like this?

Claus