Re: membership pointers

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Jason D. Clinton <me jasonclinton com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org> wrote:
As we think about how to increase our subscriber numbers, this article
had some interesting points about membership.

Eight Strategic Mistakes with Memberships
http://www.blueavocado.org/node/508

In particular, I don't think we give donors a good idea of how their
donations change the world through GNOME.

People seem to love hearing about hackfests and I think what we could do--as the marketing team--is, after or during a hackfest event, post a blog post in cooperation with the Travel Committee about how much money was spent on the hackfest to make it happen with a link right there to become a subscriber. I really liked Brian Cameron's summary post of all the people who blogged about the UX Hackfest. If we could copy that style and put at the very top: "This is what it your money did, become a subscriber today!"

I like it.

Google sponsors just about every hackfest and they always ask for a blog post. (That was part of the reason behind Brian's post - although I'm sure he would have written one about the hackfest anyway.)

We also received a donation from an individual specifically for the PyGTK+ hackfest. We debated adding an address to paypal (like hackfests gnome org) specifically for hackfests.

Maybe the blog posts, along with the call for support plus the dedicated email address would get support from those who really appreciate the hackfests?

We could even let them subscribe just to support hackfests.

Stormy