Re: Suggestion about providing more value to Foundation members

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:

Stormy:

> How do we encourage people to write recommendations? Could we do some
> sort of "Pass it on" campaign? A few of us could write
> recommendations and then ask the people we recommended to "pass it
> on" by recommending two more people.

That is not a bad idea.  However, I think one thing that makes this hard
is that many people probably do not know who is doing good hard work.
Many people might be thrilled by the new bugzilla, for example, but
have no idea who did the work.  It is hard to recommend people if you
do not know who is doing things.

What if we had a "thank you GNOME" mailing list or page. People could send in their thanks for specific features or work and we could match it up with the right person.

The recommendations on LinkedIn or profile pages could then come from me or the board (or anyone from this list that would like some practice at writing recommendations or who is already good at it.)

For example, we get three people writing in to say the new bugzilla is awesome and it saves them 30 minutes a day finding bugs to work on, so the board writes a recommendation on Max/Olav/sys admin team member page saying "Mike's work on bugzilla was extremely helpful to GNOME users. Several users wrote into say that they save 30 minutes at a time during their work day because of the improvements that Mike made. Mike's work exemplifies the GNOME mission of making computing accessible and easy for everyone."

Stormy