Re: Marketing Mission, Team Members & Wiki Cleanup

Hi,

Paul Cutler wrote:
Did you know we have a Mission page for the Marketing team? (We definitely need to re-organize these wiki pages, there are some gems here).

I agree :) I've been trying to get that message across.

I would like you to take a look at this page, as it sums up the sub-teams within Marketing very well:

Some of these teams are aspirational, and others are bread & butter stuff that is getting done - I think it's important to make a difference.

    *
      *Releases* - roadmapping <http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap>, release
      notes <http://live.gnome.org/ReleaseNotes> and coordination with
      the Release Team
      <http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/NewReleaseTeamMembers>.

This is getting done (not as well as I'd like perhaps, but Davyd and Murray deserve major props for conscientiously following up on this every 6 months).

    *
      *Websites <http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb%3A/InterWiki>* -
      www.gnome.org <http://www.gnome.org/> and the official GNOME
      subsites <http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/GnomeSubsites>.

This is mostly getting done.

    *
      *Press <http://www.gnome.org/press/>* - Official news
      <http://news.gnome.org/>, press releases
      <http://www.gnome.org/press/releases/> and press relations.

This kind of happens by default - there was a year there where I wrote all the press releases, but we haven't exactly been doing a sterling job of getting the word out. Not a core skill of mine :) It's been better since Stormy came on board.

    *
      *Events <http://live.gnome.org/GnomeEvents>* - GUADEC
      <http://live.gnome.org/GUADEC>, Boston Summit
      <http://live.gnome.org/BostonSummit%3A/InterWiki> and other events
      organized by GNOME or with official GNOME presence.

Again, this gets done, although sometimes we get very close to major debacle status (Boston Summit a couple of years back, a few GUADECs I've been involved in) and we regularly drop invitations to participate in events (particularly in the US) for lack of an organised local US presence to organise & man booths. This has been getting better in the past couple of years.

    *
      *Merchandising
      <http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/MerchandisingAgreement>* - GNOME
      brand <http://live.gnome.org/BrandGuidelines> explosion:
      producing, licensing
      <http://foundation.gnome.org/licensing/index.html> and selling
      <http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb%3A/InterWiki>.

Right now this is mostly aspirational, isn't it? Or have we got someone working with Zazzle on choosing merchandising, getting designs, and getting a shop online?

    *
      *Materials <http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing%3A/InterWiki>* -
      Digital and printed documents and demos allowing more people to
      learn about GNOME.

Happens by default right now. People write presentations, demos, screencasts, etc. when they have to - to give a presentation, to demo a project, for a report, that kind of thing.

We should force people to do those things more often to get more material :)

For posters, by the way, I have done small print runs of very nice A2 posters from GNOME Art backgrounds - there are some very nice ones out there (this one, for example, looks great on my wall: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/art.gnome.org/backgrounds/GNOME-AnotherGrass_1024x768.jpg)

    *
      *Research <http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/Research>* -
      Collaboration with universities and private R&D programs.

This is very much aspirational right now - it's one of those things we'd like to see done, if you know what I mean. When we have one final year student doing a project, or one masters/PhD student thesis to put up here, I'll be a happy man. Right now, ...

    *
      *Local groups <http://live.gnome.org/UserGroups>* - Coordination
      between the activities done at a local level.

Again, this is mostly people auto-organising, and as such it's getting done & needs some polish.

(I did not touch the Local Groups information on the Team page above - is the information still accurate? Dave Neary, are you still involved and can you comment?)

I think I have been commenting ;) I'm still involved, in so far as I have my fingers in most of the user group related pies...

We should do a review of contact details for local groups. I'm aware of GNOME Hispano, GNOME Deutschland, GNOME-fr, GNOME Brazil and GNOME UK, contact details there are accurate (or, at least, the people listed as contacts know the people involved, and are still active in GNOME).

The archives: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gugmasters-list/

The list description:
"The gugmasters-list mailing list is for collaboration and co-operation between GNOME User Groups worldwide.

Users of this list are expected to respect other members of the mailing list, and thus the GNOME Code of Conduct.

This is an English language list, but allowances will be made in some circumstances, if the poster has problems with English."

We also have a calendar maintained in Google Calendar, and I'm always looking for people to help maintain it, add GNOME related dates & events - ideally with a description of the relevance to GNOME (eg. "GNOME Booth sponsored by Lanedo, contact Herzi" or "Stormy Peters keynoting on "The State of GNOME"): (ICS): http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/mdnrfqhbsjn37b6sgad089qmak%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics (HTTP): http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=mdnrfqhbsjn37b6sgad089qmak%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/Paris

Murray co-ordinates the events box: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeEventsBox - this & the GNOME User Groups budget grew out of my frustration and (a little) anger at seeing what GNOME stands looked like in conferences: http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2005/10/19/before-and-after/ (the before picture has died, but is here: http://vieux.aldil.org/aldil.org-2008/photos/JDLL2004/stands/38.html)

In FOSDEM 2007, I gave a proposal on "Marketing GNOME", where I identified a bunch of stuff which we needed to do for user groups, and then get the hell out of the way. User groups need to be bottom up phenomena, not top down. But co-ordination and centralisation of resources for redistribution can be top down. The things I indentified are:

Infrastructure:
- We have a Sun T2000 server with space available for any user group who wants disk space, a web presence, etc. - donated to GNOME, currently used by GNOME Hispano, available for others
 - Event boxes - available on request "conference stand in a box".
- Merchandising - we have a bulk agreement with a t-shirt producer, we have (or at least, had) a standing discount from a book publisher who has a couple of GNOME development books on their roster, and we have the ability to get GNOME mugs, badges, posters, ... With Zazzle, this will only improve. We sould be a central clearing house for buying & reselling GNOME merchandise. Look at what the FSF does in GUADEC, you'll see the model I would like us to follow. We also publish a large amount of content which people can re-use for printing merchandising - t-shirt designs, poster designs, sticker designs, LiveCD images of recent releases (through Foresight Linux) - although I don't believe 2.24 or 2.26 every got the GNOME LiveCD treatment - User groups budget - a measure I encouraged in '06, a budget was made available to user groups for travel funding, advances for merchandising printed locally, ... This budget was undersubscribed when I was treasurer. It has been increased under the current board. - Wiki: Centralised space for people to co-ordinate, keep contact details for the GUG up to date. You pointed to the page.
 - Calendar, mailing list

So on the infrastructure side, we're mostly done.

What's left is motivating people and getting them organised, and that's not going to get done locally by one person. We need people locally to be contacting their local press, LUGs, universities, writing articles, giving demos, participating in conferences, and making all of the above easy with some nice generic material...

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary