Re: On Epiphany marketing, and income opportunities

2009/7/20 Alex Hudson <home alexhudson com>:
On 20/07/09 11:39, Alberto Ruiz wrote:

I wanted to draw attention on an issue that it's been mentioned
before. Which is trying to get some money out of the default search
engine used in epiphany. Obviously, we won't get as much money as the
Mozilla Foundation out of this, but it'll be worth knowing how much
can we make out of it and there are other upsides about it besides the
income.

I think the basic problem with this plan is that GNOME has very little
branding control. Most of what gets deployed is re-branded in some way, and
the main GNOME desktops a. don't come with Epi and b. already have
customised, branded search. Firefox has _much_ stronger control over its
user experience.

Well, I don't think this is all about branding control. I was just
talking about promoting Epi among our own community. In any case this
problem is orthogonal to the proposal I'm making.

Personally, I think that GNOME should exert more pressure on downstream, but
I think from a marketing perspective the value of Epi is very limited in
terms of what people might be willing to pay.

Well, as I said, I think we should target our own community for a
start, and I don't think we should actually try to push distros to use
Epiphany at this point. Pretty much none of us use epiphany, and this
would be a great opportunity to empower the application within power
users and developers. We can think on what do we want next after that.

Even if the money was very little, it could help to fund
webkit+accesibility/plain webkit/epiphany hackfests. I would be more
than happy if that was the only achievement.

Sorry this is a negative reaction, but that is my initial thought. Probably
still worth asking, though.

Cheers,

Alex.