Re: GNOME 2.24 press release

Hey Stormy,

On 9/24/08, Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org> wrote:

An instant messaging tool (Empathy) based on Telepathy. (Why is this better
than other IM clients? Or why would I choose to use this one?)

Empathy is also a set of widgets and libraries that will allow GNOME
apps to for example integrate a buddy list in an action, like the cool
example of playing tetris via jabber:
  http://alban.apinc.org/blog/2007/10/24/97-gtetrinet-video-with-telepathy-and-tubes/

Other things like sharing a text doc and similar could be done, that
page has a video for text sharing iirc, but not really visually cool
:-).

Time/activity tracking.
Audio video conferencing (Ekiga)
File management improvements: compact view, tabs, better support for USB
drives
Deskbar plug-ins: calculator, google search, Twitter/identica, Yahoo,
Wikipedia
Screen resolution: easier control of multiple monitors

I would add 'easier control of multiple monitors, allowing you to
easily hook up your computer to projectors or simply add an extra
screen', I used this over the weekend to give a talk about the new
stuff in gnome 2.24 and I was impressed on how it just worked :).
Great stuff, made me proud of my desktop :P.

Sound themes based on Freedesktop.org specs which allows you do things like
get your alerts even when using multimedia apps
Digital TV improvements: multiple tuners, (remote) text subtitling, high
resolution YouTube videos

In the video player (so this is not confused with 'ah! so now i can
see videos in my browser with GNOME?')

Contest for backgrounds (People always like to hear about contests and this
one had pretty results so we could call it out at the end as a story.)
Continued accessibility improvements
Continued developer improvements

Perhaps you could connect this to the preparations for gtk+ 3.0,
something like 'Continued developer improvements and the first steps
preparing the road for the future of the GTK+ toolkit', maybe it
sounds a bit like vapour, what do you think?

Adding to Brian's comment, you could link this idea with the
improvements in gnome-session and gnome-settings-daemon as work 'to
allow better future development of new features' or something like
that, though I recognize my choose of words is quite buzzy and
vapourware like :-).

Diego