Re: GNOME files disabled

Hi,

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 21:31:21 +0200
Andreas Nilsson <nisses mail home se> wrote:

From
http://web.archive.org/web/20071212224222/www.gnomefiles.org/contact.php:
"The developer & owner of Gnomefiles' PHP source code is Eugenia
Loli. OSNews LLC (the company behind GnomeFiles) is using the source
code under a special licensing condition (at no cost). This
repository engine can be easily modified to store documents, music or
any other item that can be categorized. If you are interested in
purchasing or licensing the source code, email Eugenia directly at..."

Does this mean we can't pick up the code and host it ourselves?

Seems so.

It would be cool to get at least the data. The site filled a
important gap. If we can't host it ourselves, I'm interesting in
start designing something new if someone is willing to help with the
code.

I've once helped write something similar, called GnomeApps. [1] Its
code is still available but unmaintained. That makes is unsuitable to
use. Also, the data is outdated.

Finding developers wasn't much of a problem back then. Today, it would
be even easier, with frameworks such as Django [1].

However, you would need someone (or a team) to manage the whole thing,
provided you get a database backup. That could be the tricky part.

Cheers,
Claus

[1] http://gnome-apps.berlios.de/
[2] http://www.djangoproject.com/