Re: GNOME vs Windows

Stormy Peters schrieb:
3) Access to developers, forums, mailing lists, etc when you have problems
I would describe that as a user and developer community. This includes
people are meeting all over the world in real live - which is rarely
happening on Windows (more often with Mac users)
7) ....

I would add:

 * Security - The platforms on which GNOME primarily runs are more
secure against attacks from the internet
 * Viruses and trojans are less of a problem, also
 * add-free software and less spyware (especially important for business
workstations)

The question often rather should be: Do I really need a Windows, or is a
Linux/GNOME system sufficient. GNOME/Linux does provide mostly every
kind of application a user might need - not all is GNOME (like the GNU
utilities, VLC, Miro,...) I think your point that we do not compete with
KDE is important, because people often do not realise they can install
both and switch as their preferences change (The no vendor lock-in
argument).

Also applications like Firefox and OpenOffice.org do mix very well with
GNOME (although from my point of view Mozilla and Sun do much more to
make their platforms better on Windows than they work on the Linux side)
- but still both also use GNOME and Freedesktop technologies. Personally
I like to see more interoperability between GNOME and KDE, because I
think the bug cross-platform applications that are also vailable on
Windows will continue to ignore the special needs of a full free
software environment.

Regards,
Thilo

--
Thilo Pfennig - PfennigSolutions IT-Beratung- Wiki-Systeme
Sandkrug 28 - 24143 Kiel (Germany)