Re: news.gnome.org

2008/10/5 Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org>:
Another problem with syndicated content is that each source will have
different conten licenses. Also if you link to outside sources you are
actually loosing visitors.

FFS. Our goal is not some magical content maximization scheme. We're
just trying to get news out. (Not to mention that the whole reason
news.gnome.org is now a planet-like aggregator is because we suck at
creating our own news feeds.)

So I think news.gnome.org should work more on
content it owns and can choose the license it wishes. The current site
states that the content listes above is copyrighted by the GNOME
project, while linked blog entries like
http://www.lbtechservices.com/blog/2007/09/27/future-of-lat/ explicitly
state: "(c) 2008, Loren Bandiera's weblog. All Rights Reserved."

Per the Berne convention, stuff is automatically copyrighted. An
additional copyright mention doesn't add any additional value.

IIRC All Rights Reserved is frowned upon. Best not to use it.

It is... not in keeping with our goals.

news.gnome.org in above stuff is nothing different than any of the other
planets. The copyrighted by GNOME might make it confusing, but that is
something for some legal person to guide.

The 'copyright (c) GNOME' language should definitely go from both
p.g.o and n.g.o.

I recommend replacing with: 'All syndicated content (c) the original authors.'

Luis