Re: news.gnome.org

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 02:24:35PM +0200, Thilo Pfennig wrote:
Another point I like to discuss is - and that relates to the sorts of
My suggestion would be to also migrate www.gnome.org/press/releases/ to
a blog (but rather to news.gnome.org/pressreleases or so) ASAP as a
first step. AFAIK news.gnome.org is not planned to run with Plone? What
would be important is to present users things like tag cluds, so they
can fish for the content they are looking for in news.gnome.org and
press releases, also. Some thoughts should go into what categories and
tags are chosen.

news.gnome.org is just planetplanet. Just because I use a vhost instead
of the old pgo/news, doesn't mean that it suddenly needs Plone etc.

Another problem with syndicated content is that each source will have
different conten licenses. Also if you link to outside sources you are
actually loosing visitors. So I think news.gnome.org should work more on
content it owns and can choose the license it wishes. The current site
states that the content listes above is copyrighted by the GNOME
project, while linked blog entries like
http://www.lbtechservices.com/blog/2007/09/27/future-of-lat/ explicitly
state: "© 2008, Loren Bandiera’s weblog. All Rights Reserved."

Per the Berne convention, stuff is automatically copyrighted. An
additional copyright mention doesn't add any additional value.

IIRC All Rights Reserved is frowned upon. Best not to use it.

news.gnome.org in above stuff is nothing different than any of the other
planets. The copyrighted by GNOME might make it confusing, but that is
something for some legal person to guide.

--
Regards,
Olav