Re: Cultural Issue with the Foot Logo

"Theppitak Karoonboonyanan" <thep linux thai net>, Sat, 1 Nov 2008 14:00:06
+0700:

(...)

Let me add another difference between the direct logo localization
and the icon theming methods.

Many Thai users don't like to use Thai translation. This is a popular
taste, despite how much translation effort and quality assurance has
been done. And that's why I put lower priority on translation than
infrastructure development. (I joined the team after having done enough
progress on GTK+, Pango, etc.)

And by this practice, the logo localization will have limited effect,
while theming still allows Thai people who choose English locale to change
the logo.

In summary, I'd propose icon theming + GNOME recognition of the
secondary logo.

Let me ask you, those Thai people with such a non-Thai-locale taste likely
have a better understanding of English or Western culture, right? (At least
that's what I suppose.) So the foot logo shouldn't be a big problem for
them then? Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Best,
Petr Kovar