GNOME Web Store

Thanks to Lucas' hard work, we now have new GNOME mugs and t-shirts.  I
understand these will mostly be provided to people who donate via the
Friends of GNOME program [1].

I think it would be useful to get input from the GNOME Marketing team
about new and creative ways that the GNOME Foundation could better
market the GNOME brand, and raise additional funds for the GNOME
Foundation.

One often-suggested program would be to set up a GNOME Web Store,
where the GNOME community could sell GNOME-branded merchandise to the
public.  Other free software communities seem to be doing a good job of
capturing this sort of market [2].

Over the past years, several members of the GNOME Foundation board have
done work to try and find a good 3rd party web store to work with, but
no real success yet.

Things might move forward if motivated people from the GNOME
marketing-list were interested in getting more involved to make things
happen.  I am interested to hear if anybody in the marketing-list
community has any suggestions or ideas that might help.

Also, I think it probably makes the most sense to continue future Web
Store discussions in the more public marketing-list forum.  It is more
likely that people will get involved if discussions are done in the
open.

I think it would be handy if people with past experience working on
this sort of project shared their experiences with the rest of the GNOME
Marketing team, so we do not end up re-inventing any wheels.

Brian

---

[1] http://www.gnome.org/friends/
[2] http://www.kde.org/stuff/merchandise.php