Re: Removing 10x10

Hi,

Goals should be aspirational and inspirational, but they should also be
grounded in reality.

We're in mid 2008, and there is nothing right now which the GNOME
project is doing to attain 10x10 - it was a good message in 2005, in mid
2008, it's just something no-one talks about any more.

Replacing it with something like 20x20 or 15x15 seems silly to me too.
Better, imho, to set an ambitious mid-term goal (perhaps even technology
based?) which people have to double-take for - "whoa, did they really
say that?" followed by "You, know, just maybe..."

Like 10x10 in 2005, in other words, but with the potential for
follow-through this time.

Anyway - that's a separate issue. Right now, on the front page of
live.gnome.org, there is a link to "10x10", front & center, listed as a
project goal. As you say yourself, you never intended it to be that.

I think that it's reasonable to drop this from the front page of the wiki.

Cheers,
Dave.

Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="Dave Neary">

I'd like to archive http://live.gnome.org/10x10 in the wiki, since it's
clear that we are not going to get there, keeping the goal up on the front
page seems like it will be more of a liability & object of ridicule than a
motivator over the next year & a half.

I thought it best to bring this up here first, to get opinions & feedback.
Particularly since I'm not proposing to replace it with anything else.

I think it was kind of odd that it transitioned from a motivational idea to
a "goal" on the wiki (without a lot of planning, discussion and adoption in
the greater comunity), but I don't think it should be removed. It is still a
relevant benchmark (despite the word "desktops") for the GNOME ecosystem at
large. Just this week it was discussed in relation to some of the things the
Board is doing at the moment.

It might make sense to clarify the language, but it's not like any of it can
be "unsaid". Taking it down would contribute to the potential ridicule.

- Jeff

--
Dave Neary
GNOME Foundation member