Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

Peteris Krisjanis schrieb:

It is needed, no matter how hard it is. Because it is next level -
when we actually start to care what happens after code. Being
proactive about features and problems about them is way forward.

That should be written in stone ;-)

One could try to select a good mix of volunteers from different
backrounds  who are willing to test new features and give feedback

Testing should be done, yes, but again, nor GNOME nor distributions
don't have such manpower.
I wrote "volunteers". I think we should be able to find a handful of
people willing to test. Maybe also we can give them something in return
- and if its only public attention - maybe let them write blogs - so
have some kind of userplanet.gnome.org and encourage them to write about
what they experience. I know this is happening in the blog world already
- but most GNOME users that write blog entries nobody really knows and
nobody cares. And also nobody really knows what they are using. I think
this even does need to meet high standards technically or scientifically
- I just say give the users a seat in the front row and listen to them.
You cant listen to all of them - its true that there are a lot of
Bugzillas out there but that is not the same.

For example I know a telephone company that works with Ubuntu/GNOME only
for some years now - somebody there could report about their experience
which could really be valuable for the business view.

Of course, mainstream oriented distros should look for more casual
testing (user groups and stuff), but it is up to them.

That is part of our problem and as far as i have understood other people
also thought about how one could better link bug reports betwen
distribution<->gnome bugzilla. But I also think that GNOME does not get
enough direct information from users. I  think that "let the
distribution" handle the user side does not really work out - this at
least what I see today - if you look at GNOME you can see how some
things got wrong because the GNOME developers and the users seemed to
have gotten out of contact.

regards,
Thilo

--
Thilo Pfennig - PfennigSolutions IT-Beratung- Wiki-Systeme
Sandkrug 28 - 24143 Kiel (Germany)