Re: GNOME Project Organogram

On 2/11/07, Quim Gil <quimgil gmail com> wrote:
Sorry for missing this email with this interesting organigram.

Your proposal is totally code-centric, considering GNOME only code and
circunven ti it to the Release Team. It's a perspective and probably
nobody can tell you it's wrong.

The problem, of course, is that gnome *is* a code-centric
organization. The coders are our sine qua non- without them, we have
nothing. Translators are probably a close second to that- without
them, we have no international coders.

Past that, no group of people in the project are indispensable to the
current state of the project, or even close to it.

Now, this is broken. Some examples of things that should be
indispensable, but are not:

* usability designers (not post-implementation usability testers)
should be indispensable to every screen of UI we write
* accessibility hackers should be indispensable to every widget we write/deploy
* web people, marketers, and doc writers should be indispensable,
because we shouldn't be satisfied with just getting our message out to
those who already know about it/use it.

etc., etc. (Please don't feel slighted if I left your team out, this
is just to prove the point.)

But my point is that these are not currently indispensable/central. If
all those teams went away tomorrow, most coders would keep coding, and
the releases would keep releasing (mostly). So Vicente's diagram is
pretty accurate.

We should seek to fix the organization and make all those things
central, not to have Vicente fix the diagram.

Luis