Re: Spreading the press release/release announcement and collecting press coverage

--- Dave Neary <dneary free fr> wrote:

There's a lot of stuff people talk about on pgo.
What do you think?
That release notes writers have nothing better to
do than taking notes
about stuff developers say somewhere on the
Internet?

Well, it's my primary news source to know what
application maintainers
are working on, and what is creating a buzz in our
community. So yes, I
think it is important for people interested in
promoting GNOME (and
particularly release notes writers) be aware of it.

I think this particular point is a cultural issue, but
not cultural in the sense of nationalities...

I think it's more to do with the coder/non-coder
divide in GNOME -- whether this is real or only
perceived.

It's something I'm aware of with my work as a
documentation writer. You feel very much that you're
expected to do a lot of chasing up, and going to get
the resources you need yourself.
In a similar vein, I'd like people working on the apps
I document to *push* information to me ('Hi docs list,
I've just made this change to the interface, thought
you might need to know'), rather than me have to dig
up and interpret changelogs that mean mostly nothing
to me with only two weeks to go to release.

This sort of thing requires a change in culture rather
than new rules like there are already for freezes.
I thought about creating a set of policies for the
Docs Team, including what we expect from module
maintainers.
Perhaps the marketing team could do the same?

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html