Re: User oriented release notes

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 18:23 +0200, Claus Schwarm wrote:
But the main point is: 99.9% of the release notes readers know what
GNOME is, I'm sure.

I'm not sure about that. I'd say it's maybe 50%. New sites post "GNOME
2.16 is out" stories, and people follow the link. They know it's
something new, and they know it's important (otherwise it wouldn't be on
the new sites), but they don't know what it is.

For the moment, release notes/announcements are the major thing that
gets people to our site (I think this can be backed-up by the
statistics). So we need to get that first-contact right, even more than
we do now. Hence some of my suggestions for improving the "start" pages:
http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointFifteen/ReleaseNotes#head-4d574ff2e3f033cf3bc18d9fbcefe2fbd910881d

[snip]
Thus, I'm sure that 99.99% of release notes readers have a sufficiently
close idea of what GNOME is, and for the remaining 0.01%, we can
provide a link to the 'About' section, somewhere in the first paragraph
of the notes, without boring all others.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com