Re: User oriented release notes

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 02:16:56 +0300
Enver ALTIN <ealtin parkyeri com> wrote:

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 12:40 +0200, Claus Schwarm wrote:
Our release notes should not be a workaround for our ugly 'About'
section. This is a bad and useless habit of the GNOME release notes.

I can't see why it's a bad habit, I'd love if you could explain.

Hi!

Three reasons:

 (1) You should not waste your time to work-around 'bugs', anyway. You
should fix the bug if possible.

 (2) People want the new information quickly - see "Inverted Pyramid
Format" for news stories. [1]

 (3) The release notes are published on the web: It's easy to make a
link to the proper section, and thus not waste the time of people who
know what GNOME is.

Cheers,
Claus

[1] http://live.gnome.org/MarketingTeam/WritingPressReleasesHowto