Re: support.gnome.org (was Re: [Fwd: GnomeWeb 2.18 goals])

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 17:38 +0200, Quim Gil wrote:

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 09:34 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

Is support.g.o meant to be the subdomain 'version' of gnomesupport.org?

Not necessarily. To be decided, together with the gnomesupport.org
maintainers.

I'm for moving from gnomesupport.org to support.gnome.org, yes, but
there are other possibilities.

I more than willing to go along with what ever the consensus decision
is. Even though I personally own the domain name, I consider it "GNOME
Property".

If the domain name did change I would just need to do a little re-direct
magic so that hard links that are bound to exist in various places don't
get broken.

Why make it a subdomain at all?

I think the question is the other way round: why an official GNOME
subsite shouldn't be under gnome.org?

I bet gnomesupport.org was created with a different domain on a external
server because this way Luke Stroven could simply JFDI skipping the
server policies and the sysadmin dependencies at that time. Now the
situation is different. What is the reason to stay away?

A little history here.... I registered it because I though it was a good
name, and I didn't want to host it under gnomedesktop.org. I wanted it
to have its own domain name so it would be easily transferable and not
tied to the gnomedesktop.org site. At the time their was alot of demand
for web forums but also many who felt the mailing lists were the
properly place. Also at the time not many were interested in putting
alot of PHP stuff on the website, and for good reason. There have been
several holes in PHP based software over the years. I can remember back
when I was running PHP-Nuke, you'd have to be certifiably bat-shit
insane to run that GNOME.org servers.

Basically by hosting this stuff on my own server, I can do all kinds of
crack PHP shit, and people like Ross Golder can sleep at night ;o)

I also think that one domain less helps fixing the mess.
support.gnome.org looks good and consistent with all the rest. I have
mentioned already the advantages of having a General nav bar linking to
subdomains and not to wgo pages or external domains.

As far as I know Luke sees this move with good eyes. Another reason to
think the move makes sense.

Most people don't give a crap about URLs

I really don't either. Either way is fine with me, and even if we move
to s.g.o, gs.org will be around for a while as it would take a while to
get it depreciated.

Some do, some don't. I remember being confused by gnomesupport.org the
first day I looked for GNOME support. Was that site official? Some
people care about this when looking for answers. Users like me would be
not confused with a support.gnome.org

For people don't giving a crap about URLs will be the same to have
gnomesupport.org or support.gnome.org - no loss here.

-Luke