Re: Kiss this Gman when you meet him

Hi Quim,

----- Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:
See http://www.gnome.org/~gman/blog/31072006

Download http://www.gnome.org/~gman/gnome-update.pdf

Enjoy!

Glynn, can I ask how much time did you invest producing this
presentation?

At the end Murray is right. We can plan and discuss and plan a second
iteration and discuss more... but a complementary strategy is: JFDI.

Sure, Glynn's presentation doesn't really explain what is the GNOME
software to the OSCON attendees. But it makes me feel part of it, and
can imagine others seeing it and wanting to know more and, perhaps,
be
part of it. Like the TV adverts that ring better our bells.

I was there, and the presentation was great and it certainly got me thinking things for the Gnome-UK booth at
Linuxworld UK. We'd already decided that our focus at LW-UK was to drive membership / involvement in Gnome-UK
as opposed to pushing the usage of Gnome over any other type of desktop. I'm thinking, and I haven't proposed
this to G-UK yet, that we should develop some posters based on these slides, other Guadec photos, and Luis'
Gnome is people collage. Emphasise the fun and the community.

The other thing is that, to me anyway, the presentation stood out because it was different to all the others
- not simply a list of features X, Y, Z we have added this year. However the general 'project update in 5
mins' was good and it might be worth doing for Guadec with the various Gnome subprojects.

BTW, did you get any feedback from non-GNOME people at OSCON or
wherever?

Can't speak for Glynn but I had a few people ask about AIGLX and Gimmie running on my laptop - while Xgl and
AIGLX are great at generating interest, we then have the old problem of that there is never one answer to;
how do I get that on my laptop, do I go with AIGLX or Xgl, etc, etc. People thought Gimmie as intersting but
too experimental for usage at the moment.

As Glynn said on his blog the conferece was dominated by OS X - there were a few Mac's running linux (and
Gnome). Of the non-Mac hardware, sadly the majority were still running Windows. The majority of Linux
machines were running Gnome, followed by a collection of plain old WM's (WindowMaker, mostly it seems). All
of this is highly unscientific, based purely on me 'eyewigging' other people laptops, so I might just be
seeing what I want to see.

One other thing - nearly all of the talks, especially the keynotes were done on OS X. It would be good if we
could get some more high profile converts (to follow the likes of Pilgrim, Doctorow, Bray - although he was
still using OS X in his talk) using Gnome in their keynotes (no wonder Jobs used that name for their
presentation app).

Paul

Paul Cooper                    |  Tel: 0121 634 1620
Assistant Director             |  Fax: 0121 634 1630
OpenAdvantage                  |  http://www.openadvantage.org