Re: wgo url policy

Like Jeff, I also tend to think that query string approach is the
cleanest. It implies it's the same resource with a different parameter,
that is "display language". Can be problematic though with some CMS
engines and usual URL rewriting rules (that for example would
translate /foo/bar/baz?lang=hu into /index.php?page=foo/bar/baz?lang=hu
which is obviously wrong: ? appears twice).

In a CMS that uses a front/page controller to filter the path, the
query would be appended.

Original path = index.php?q=/foo/bar
Appended query = index.php?q=/foo/bar&lang=en

In modern CMSs that support clean URLs, it would look like this

<domain name>/foo/bar&lang=en

However, b/c the CMSs use front/page controllers, we could parse out
the path to check for a flag

<domain name>/foo/bar/1/en

Depending on the page, we would be able to reliably determine the
language requested from the query.

I guess we all agree, that a page in a specific language needs it's own
URL?

Given that we can also determine the language from browser settings, a
page should give the option to request a specific language, but
needing a separate page for each language is not necessary.

--
John Hwang