Re: wgo use cases

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:45:38 +0200
Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:

I tried: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/UseCases

This is not mathematical science. In fact it's quite subjective, but
anyway. Feel free to rearrange any item.

Hi, Quim.

As an economist, I can assure you that subjective preference is
measurable (ie. can be indexed by numbers), provided certain rules
apply.

However, if you tried to make the most important item bold and you
ordered them first, why are the bold items not all on top?

The bold stuff makes the list nearly unreadable. And this is a pity
since there are some quite strange items. For example, is useful to
assume that *Free Software users* will ask what a Live CD is? I don't
think so.

This is also a pity because it would be worth discussing whether some of
these items should be satiesfied by wgo: For example, is it imaginable
that somebody from the public sector asks: "How do I encourage the
adoption of GNOME within my organization?" and then believes to find the
answer on wgo?

There are two aspects here:

(1) Do we want such answers on wgo? The additional information will
make wgo less usable for people that are not interested in this
particular answer.

(2) Is there really someone like this? Or can we assume that somebody
like this is able to search a mailing list or the forum or the
marketing pages in the wiki?

I think, for this particular example, both aspects are negative:
Somebody this enthusiastical about GNOME is able to find the marketing
mailing list and ask for material. If it's more of a manager type he
will asked the geek nearby about the background stuff anyway. So we
should drop it from our use case list.

I'd would suggest that you remove the bold formatting, and then sort
by your subjective feeling of importance by using numbers 1., 2. and so
on within each class of users. Don't care about ties (ie. item x is as
important as item y).

With some additional discussion we may come to a better understanding
what we want wgo to be.

Cheers,
Claus