Re: gnome app pages (was confusingly Gnome Software Map)

Pragmatism: it is sensible to say that Evolution needs to be featured
somewhere in wgo. And we are going to have a list of featured products.
Let's move forward.

El dt 08 de 08 del 2006 a les 13:59 +0200, en/na Claus Schwarm va
escriure:

When I say "product page" I mean

Now that the product pages are in the wgo map, it's time to define their
components. Anyone to start with a draft?

No, because they don't mind about some set of feature that makes
Evolution different to other mail clients. They don't want to know how
Nautilus handles file management

True. They want to choose "something serious". Being serious is not
about showing or not certain pages. It is not about having a cool or
uncool website. It is a mixture of many different elements, including a
website and certain pages.

I agree the product pages play a small role in wgo, yet it is a role.

If you care to look in the former navigation proposal

Don't get me wrong. I think most points of the former proposal are valid
and should be kept in the current wgo revamp. See
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/NewWgoStructure , I'm asking for
selecting and merging. Why don't you work together with Joachim to get
an updated version?

successes. There was a page planned what others say, listing quotes from
journalists. We could have included a list of Awards -- unfortunately

Who says we shouldn't have these pages? Who says they are less/more
relevant than the product pages? Each pages have their mission, all
collaborate to explain the wgo visitors how cool is GNOME.

we better show a page about our largest deployments and
case studies, instead.

Why "better" and "instead"? Case studies are also a 2.16 goal:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/CaseStudies , still unassigned despite
their relevance.

 In other words: The best selling argument for a desktop is that
everybody else uses it!

Agreed, and this is what case studies are for. At some point you need to
explain (for those not knowing) what is the desktop and what are the
products everybody else is using. This is what the product pages are
for.

This is the impression we need to create: that we're cool and that we
matter!

Agreed. I will insist about this unassigned goal:

Make wgo explain clearly what is GNOME, why you want to have it and be
part of it

Some product pages with rather detailed descriptions don't help
here. They are just wasting everybody's time.

We are wasting time, agreed. In the time invested in this discussion we
could have completed the (unassigned) goal "First bunch of applications
featured."

wgo will have product pages. Please let's move forward and let's define
which common fields will have the product pages and which GNOME products
are we going to feature first.

without a draft, this is hard to discuss any further.

Agreed. If we need drafts for anything, please produce or request them.
Investing instead our time starting and keeping discussions in the fog
is proving to burn our time, although not totally wasting it (after all
the results after the discussions are far better than what we had before
discussing)

The problem is we have a tight deadline. This pushes many dependent
tasks to be approached simultaneously, creating a logical confusion. If
you are confused, ask for a draft. Or contribute it yourself.

COMMENTS ABOUT GOOGLE RESULTS

I wanted to keep the Google thing out of the discussion.

However, it will be nearly impossible to get Evolution
homepage into the top list for a search term like 'Email client'

You have a point here, although performing that search shows 3 different
official pages of Thunderbird in the first 10 results... Evolution comes
3 pages later thanks to http://www.novell.com/products/evolution/ The
Evolution website at gnome is apparently nowhere. (btw they could
improve their positioning just by having a proper TITLE, life in the
home and a not-so-secondary URL)

You say having an Evolution product page in wgo will split effort. I
think it will help improving clicks, links, circulation and therefore
rank in Google results. It is hard to know today who is right, so why
don't we move forward.

I've just searched for "gnome email client". The first result I get
is... http://balsa.gnome.org/ . "An e-mail client for GNOME" in the
TITLE, alive homepage, short URL with GNOME subdomain... Compare to
http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/ and you might find more reasons
why Google keeps dumping our beloved Evolution site, reasons that
apparently have nothing to do with the fact of wgo having product pages
or not.

The first mention to Evolution comes 3 pages later:
http://swik.net/Evolution/About/GNOME+mail+client+and+PIM./m1 . Also
http://www.gnomefiles.org/subcategory.php?sub_cat_id=43 wins the
Evolution site in the race. Tinymail appears some pages later. No clue
about Evolution looking in Google for a "gnome email client" either.

So please, let's focus on the consistency of wgo before trying to solve
problems of the product sites and make them hit Google's first page.